Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The DOOR OF DEATH: A tribute to my husband

 So, This is a picture of my latest hair brained idea come to fruition.  (I wish I had a "before" picture!!!!)  I thought, "Hmmm...  I need a coat rack. Why not make one out of an old door?"  (Not an original an idea as I thought.  Apparently its all over the place.) Seemed simple, and it should have been.  I found an old  door for $5.  All I was hoping to do was prime it, spray paint it, drill and screw the hooks in and it would be finished in a few hours, like my other projects.  But my $5 door turned into a six week process of misery because it had 5 layers of chippy gooey weird paint  that would have been impossible to use bonding primer.  I also did not take into account my miserable state of pregnancy (About 8 months along).  Now enters my sweet husband. 

All I asked him to do was move the door to the backyard so I could get started on sanding or something.  I left it there and it mocked me from the grass for over a month as I thought of ways to avoid the now not-so-easy daunting door of death.   Devin nicknamed it the Gate of Hell. 

I went out one night with some friends while Dev stayed home with the kids.  I came home to a bunch of bags from Lowe's filled with Paint stripper, drill attachments for sanding, special gloves, etc. etc. that he had bought.  The next Saturday he took it upon himself to strip the five layers of paint for me.  It was so bad that it took more than a week to get everything off to a position where I could re-paint it.  Some nights I went to bed early only to find that he had stayed up all hours of the night sanding down the gooey sludge for me.  I have to reiterate that I never even really asked him to help in the first place and he usually just leaves me to do my crafty things on my own because, well, they are MY crafty things after all.  :)

So, today the Gate of Hell was finally finished after I bought a little storage bench at target, re-lined the padding with fun fabric, added some bows I made, and threw together a wreath thingy.  I owe it all to him, because I literally couldn't have done it without him. 

I guess what I am really trying to say is that this door represents a lot more to me than just a coat rack.  It says that he loves me...  He REALLY loves me.  :)  That's all I see when I look at it.

Thanks babe.  You really are the most perfect man for me, and I love you. 

No comments: