Monday, June 9, 2008

Training and Church Callings

As most of you know I've been trying to get in better shape before we think about having another kid. (I started my first pregnancy out in horrible shape, and now I'm paying for it!) So Dev and I signed up to run the 10k at the Freedom Festival on the fourth of July. So far I've gotten myself to a point where I can run for an hour without a problem, but I'm a little frustrated because I was only able to go about 5 miles! I'm so slow!! So this week will be my speed up week, and hopefully I will be able to do it without aggravating my shin splints too badly. My goal is to be able to run the 10k under an hour, which I know for my runner friends out there is rather slow, but for me who hates running that is quite a feet! What makes me the most frustrated is that Devin wont even train, and he will totally kill my time. Ugh... men... :) K... I'm done venting. I still have a few weeks to go, so I know I can do it.

Tyson came on our last run with us in a jogging stroller, and I was nervous about him getting antsy, gut he was great the entire hour! I was shocked!



On to Church callings... we have been teaching the 11 year-old-boys that turn 12 during the year in Primary. There are only two kids, so to be honest, it has been a very easy calling. I just got a phone call from our primary president yesterday, and they want to blend our class with another one and put us in the nursery. Here is my question... When do you start complaining about how long you have had a calling? We have been in the primary/nursery ever since we have been married. (5 1/2 years) It's been really fun, however, it has been extremely hard to form relationships in the wards that we have been in because we never get to know anyone. Putting us back in nursery will only make it worse, won't it? The president was desperate, and it's really not that big of a deal because we are totally physically capable and we don't have any other kids or babies to worry about. So it makes sense to put us there and we will totally do it, but at the same time... When is it okay to say, "Can we do something else for a change?"

5 comments:

hknight said...

I'd say just mention that you'd like to try something a little different so that you can get to know more people in the ward to your bishop, and see what he has to say! Couldn't hurt right?

Jaime said...

I'm just hoping to run the 5k in under an hour!

Bryndee Slade said...

Good for you. I look up to you because I don't know if I could take on something like that. Oh and I kinda feel the same about the church calling. I am on activities committee but everyone my age is in primary or y.w.'s so I have very few friends at church, and rarely see them. I'm ready for a change to a younger based ward. We are at geriatrics central. We need to all get together. And not to clean damon and bre's house. lol

Bob and Danya said...

I'm just hoping to NOT run at all! (what's more, I will get my wish)! :) Good for you for running though! I'm very impressed with you and how hard you have been working!

I love nursery! Treats and songs and toys. Who can beat that! The alternative is something like having to listen to a sunday school lesson and falling asleep during RS. Or worse! You could be teaching Sunday School or RS! LOL!

Laura said...

I agree with Heather...just mention it to your bishop and see what he says. I turned down a calling in Primary for that very reason...it was the only thing I had ever served in and I really felt like I needed to be involved with the adults in our ward. Just do what feels right to you! Way to go on the running by the way! I hate running, but I should try to do something like that, too! Good luck!

-Laura